Prerequisite Criteria for Math Placement
Entry-level Math Placement
All students must meet one of the following prerequisites before they may enroll in Math 20A, 10A, 4C, 3C, or 2 at UC San Diego:
- SAT Mathematics Level 2 Subject Test score 650 or higher for Math 20A or Math 18
- SAT Mathematics Level 2 Subject Test score 600 or better for Math 10A or Math 4C
- AP Calculus AB Exam score 3 for Math 20A or Math 18
- AP Calculus AB (or BC for 2020) Exam score 2 for Math 10A or Math 4C
- Qualifying placement on the UCSD Mathematics Placement Exam (MPE)
After taking the Math Placement Exam (MPE), UC San Diego may also consider the following requirements for enrollment:
- SAT I* Math Exam score 600 or higher for Math 3C
- ACT* Math Exam score of 22 or higher for Math 3C
- ACT* Math Exam score of 25 or higher for Math 4C
*Enrollment to a class using the SAT I or the ACT as a prerequisite is not automatic. If you decide to take a math course using the SAT or ACT Math as your qualifying prerequisite, then you will need to request a preauthorization using the Enrollment Authorization System (EASy) at: https://academicaffairs.ucsd.edu/Modules/Students/PreAuth/. Our office strongly recommends for students to take the MPE to see if they qualify for a calculus course.
Students with the following course credits will earn equivalent credit and will be able to enroll in the next level course in the sequence.
- AP Calculus exam scores of 3 or higher
- IB Math HL: Score of 5 or higher
- Course credit grade of C- or better in an approved calculus course from another college or university
- Foreign credit by exam for High Level Mathematics (e.g., GCE); contact us for more information
Expiration for Placement
- The scores for the ACT, SAT I, SAT Mathematics Level 2 Subject Test are valid for math placement for 2 years.
- AP Calculus AB (or BC for 2020) score of a "2" is valid for math placement for 2 years.
- The Math Placement Exam (MPE) is valid for one year.
- AP Calculus scores of (3,4,5) and the IB HL 5 or higher do not expire for earning credit.