Testing & Evaluation Services
Scoring and Reports
231 Literature Building (Warren Campus)
Bruce Arnold - Director – x43298 – firstname.lastname@example.org
The Math Testing & Placement Office at UCSD offers optical scanning/scoring (Scantron) services for UCSD faculty and staff.* We
score quizzes, midterms, final exams, and compile statistics for surveys and
* Please note that due to recent budget cuts as well as increases in requests, we are unable to provide these services to other than our current users. Even several current users have been contacted regarding finding other solutions after spring quarter 2010. If this situation changes, we will post the information here.
Our hours are 7:30 a.m. to 3 p.m. weekdays.
How the Service Works
Before you administer an exam, talk to us
first to make sure everything is done correctly. Please contact
- FOR 50 (OR FEWER) QUESTIONS: FOR QUIZZES, MIDTERMS, AND FINALS: Your students or department should purchase the half-sheet red OR green form
X-101864-PAR-L at the UCSD Bookstore or Sunshine Market. Each exam may contain a maximum of 50 questions. Incorrect forms will not be included in the .xls file results, nor will any questions/answers over 50.
- FOR 51 (TO 200) QUESTIONS: FOR MIDTERMS AND FINALS. This form is used only when there are more than 50 questions on an exam. Your students or department should purchase the whole red sheet/form #F-1712-PAR-L, at the UCSD Bookstore or Sunshine Market. You will see that there are sections that will not be used, but make sure students fill out and bubble in either the 9-digit ID Number or the 3-digit (Subj Score) number, as well as the Test Form if there is more than one version of the exam. Note that the maximum number of questions is 200, and that the questions are in 50-question blocks/rows.
Please contact x4-3373, email@example.com with any questions before you administer the exam. Incorrect forms will not be included in the .xls file results.
- Administer the exam. Make sure students fill in either their UCSD PID
number in the ID number box on the form or an ID number that you have assigned
that may be entered in the 3-digit Exam Number/Subj Score box.
- Students must use a #2 pencil and fill in each bubble so it is strong enough for the machine to pick up. Pen cannot be read by the ScanMark. Only one answer per question is allowed on student scantrons. Do not use a 3-hole punch on forms. There should be no stray pencil marks on the forms. Keep forms in good condition for scanning.
- For more than one version of the test, have the students
mark the version (A, B, C, D) in the Test Form box.
- When you collect the answer sheets, separate them by test version. Check to make sure that: the answer sheets are facing the same direction, the bubbled pencil marks are visible, and all ID information is complete and consistent.
- Using a blank answer sheet, fill out an answer key for each version of the test. Place each answer key on top of the answer sheets for that test version.
- Bring the answer sheets to 231 Literature Building for scanning and scoring.
- Fill out the Test/Evaluation Scoring Request Form. Forms are located in
a container/organizer on the wall across from LIT 231. Be sure to include your department's index number
and your name and e-mail address.
- Leave the answer sheets and Scoring Request Form in the Scantron drop-box.
- You will receive results within two days.
- Results will be e-mailed to you in Excel format. You may pick up the
answer sheets in a box outside LIT 231, or, if you provide us with a
pre-addressed envelope, we will mail the answer sheets back to you via campus
- If you are thinking of creating a custom form*, please contact us and work with Scantron to develop a form that will work with our scanner and programs. *NOT AVAILABLE AT THIS TIME.
Effective July 1, 2006, the basic charge is $41.00 per hour, and charges are based
on actual time spent scanning and scoring. The cost for one version of a test
for 100 students would be about $8.00-$10.00; a four-version test for 250 students would
be about $15-$20. Making sure that the answer sheets you drop off are well organized - facing the same direction; flat, not folded; filled out completely and correctly
- can substantially reduce processing time and improve results.
What You Get
For an exam, you will receive an Excel file of results including:
- Responses, raw score, and percent score by student id.
- Raw class mean and standard deviation.
- Percent class mean and standard deviation.
- Item analysis.
If you need to check a particular student answer sheet, you
will also see, by student id, where that answer sheet is found in the
For a survey or course evaluation, your results will
- Item analysis.
- Total by question.
When scoring, we can leave out a question if necessary; we
can also add an alternate answer for a question. During scanning, however, there must be only one answer per question. Each correct question is worth one point.
As the results are emailed to you in Excel, after receipt you
can change the weight of each question or organize the data in any way you would
like. This is a basic scoring service and we cannot accept requests for special
statistics, graphs, charts, etc.