The purpose of mathematics placement testing is to assist you in determining the appropriate entry-level UCSD mathematics class.
This site will help you learn more about Mathematics Placement Testing at UCSD. If you have any unanswered questions, please email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Mathematics Placement Exam (MPE) is offeredseveral times throughout the year at UCSD and in the spring at two northern California college campuses.There is no fee for the MPE. As part of the placement process each student receives individual diagnostic information, including course placement and preparation evaluation. Test results qualify a student for placement into introductory math courses, and are valid for one calendar year from the test date.
Placement results are entered into the student registration system to allow you to register for a math class usingWebReg. MPE results are not part of your permanent record and are not entered on your transcript.
There are six possible ways to qualify for enrollment in your first UCSD mathematics course:
- Obtain a score of 600 or better (650 or better for Math 20A) on the SAT II Level 2 Math test.
- Obtain scores of 2 or better on the AP Calculus AB or BC tests. Scores of 3 or better also earn UCSD course credit.
- Earn a grade of C- or better in an appropriate calculus course at a community college or other college or university. See a list of approved courses. http://www.math.ucsd.edu/programs/undergraduate-program/transfer-equivalencies/
- Obtain a score of 5 or better on the International Baccalaureate (IB) Mathematics Higher Level (HL) exam.
- Present evidence of foreign credit by exam (e.g., GCE).
- Take the UCSD Mathematics Placement Exam (MPE).
Students who have been diagnosed as having a disability or who believe that they may have a disability, should contact the Office for Students with Disabilities (OSD). See website: http://disabilities.ucsd.edu
Only students with an OSD Authorization for Accommodation (AFA) letter are entitled to accommodations for the Math Placement Exam. Students should contact email@example.com, or 858-534-3373 to make arragements for MPE testing at least three days prior to a desired exam date.
To learn more about enrollment options visit Placement Exams,AP Credit or Enrollment Requirements. To learn more about the Mathematics Placement Exam visit Test Description, Test Dates, or Sample Exams. To learn more about UCSD majors that require mathematics visit Majors Requiring Math. To takean online calculus practice exam click the Calculus Readiness Test link on the left.